Videos WhatFinger

Monday, February 25, 2008

Dedication & gratitude

Look up 'dedication' in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of 1st Sgt. James Spears (ret). Vietnam veteran back in war zone

Retired in 1995 after 24 years in the Army, Sgt. Spears felt the call of duty after watching the World Trade Center's Twin Towers crumble in 2001 and picked up the phone just to let the Army know he was there if he was ever needed.

As the "human resources manager" for NATO and the Army"s 173rd Airborne Brigade"s Provincial Reconstruction Team in Kunar Province, Afghanistan, Sgt. Spears keeps the soldiers in line with stentorian growls across the mess hall and quiet, reassuring chats in his quarters.

"If you cut me, I"d probably bleed Army green, but this is definitely my last deployment" said the 54-year-old veteran, who is better known to his fellow soldiers as "Grumpy."
Look up 'gratitude' in the dictionary, and you'll find an immigrant who I'm proud to have in this country. Iraqi interpreter sent to the USA for protection, enlists in the Army to go back to Iraq. Instant citizenship anyone?
I want to serve this country because this country returned to me my life,” Wadi says. “If I had stayed in Iraq, I’d be dead now.”
~Nuff said.