Videos WhatFinger

Monday, December 09, 2019

‘Actors Are Pretty Stupid’

That is a quote about his own ilk from the eminently talented Sir Anthony Hopkins. And judging from the gobsmacking nonsense burped up almost daily by many of that ilk in the public arena of ideas, I tend to agree. Yet, in contrast to the stupid fascists who seek to criminalize words as 'violence,' I'll champion free speech in the process: "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it!"

But it's not so much saying it that is irritating. I post words to my backwater blog almost daily, and they never garner any attention except from the few people who traffic this site, so why does 'famous' bestow 'qualified' onto actors simply because they have a more ready access to cameras and microphones than you or I? It doesn't, and I think Hopkins is wise in his self-awareness:
“People ask me questions about present situations in life,” Hopkins said.

“I say, ‘I don’t know, I’m just an actor. I don’t have any opinions. Actors are pretty stupid. My opinion is not worth anything. There’s no controversy for me, so don’t engage me in it, because I’m not going to participate.'”
Others in the entertainment industry would be wise to imitate Hopkin's circumspection. IE: Shut up and act.